Electrolyte SolutionGeneric Name:
Electrolyte (e-LECK-troe-lite)Brand Name:
Electrolyte Solution is used for:
Treating or preventing dehydration caused by vomiting or diarrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Electrolyte Solution is a carbohydrate and electrolyte combination. It works by replacing electrolytes and carbohydrates in the body to prevent dehydration.
Do NOT use Electrolyte Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Electrolyte Solution
- you have high blood potassium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Electrolyte Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Electrolyte Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, fluid retention (eg, swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet), intestinal holes or punctures, difficulty urinating, kidney problems, or unexplained rectal bleeding
- if you have severe or persistent vomiting, severe diarrhea, or if you are dehydrated
- if you are unable to properly absorb glucose from food
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Electrolyte Solution. However, no specific interactions with Electrolyte Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Electrolyte Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Electrolyte Solution:
Use Electrolyte Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Electrolyte Solution by mouth with or without food.
- Do not mix Electrolyte Solution with water or any other liquid.
- Do not heat Electrolyte Solution.
- Each container of Electrolyte Solution is intended for a single use. Discard the container and any unused portion of medicine immediately after the first use.
- Do not reuse the container.
- If you miss a dose of Electrolyte Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Electrolyte Solution.
Important safety information:
- If vomiting, fever, stomach pain or bloating, or diarrhea that lasts longer than 24 hours occurs, check with your doctor.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Do not use Electrolyte Solution in CHILDREN younger than 1 year old without first checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Electrolyte Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Electrolyte Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Electrolyte Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Electrolyte Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Electrolyte Solution:
Store Electrolyte Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Electrolyte Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Electrolyte Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Electrolyte Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Electrolyte Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- CeraLyte 70 Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information