Electrolyte Powder PacketsGeneric Name:
Electrolyte (e-LECK-troe-lite)Brand Name:
Electrolyte Powder Packets are used for:
Treating or preventing dehydration caused by diarrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Electrolyte Powder Packets are a carbohydrate and electrolyte combination. It works by replacing electrolytes and carbohydrates in the body to prevent dehydration.
Do NOT use Electrolyte Powder Packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Electrolyte Powder Packets
- you have high blood potassium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Electrolyte Powder Packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Electrolyte Powder Packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, fluid retention (eg, swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet), intestinal holes or punctures, difficulty urinating, kidney problems, or unexplained rectal bleeding
- if you have severe or persistent vomiting, severe diarrhea, or if you are dehydrated
- if you are unable to properly absorb glucose from food
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Electrolyte Powder Packets. However, no specific interactions with Electrolyte Powder Packets are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Electrolyte Powder Packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Electrolyte Powder Packets:
Use Electrolyte Powder Packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Electrolyte Powder Packets by mouth with food.
- Do not heat Electrolyte Powder Packets.
- Briskly stir 1 packet of Electrolyte Powder Packets into 4Â½ cups (1 L) of water until completely dissolved. For a single serving, briskly stir 2 teaspoons of Electrolyte Powder Packets into 7 ounces (200 mL) of water until completely dissolved.
- Drink enough of Electrolyte Powder Packets to replace the fluid you are losing through diarrhea. Check with your doctor if you are unsure how much of Electrolyte Powder Packets you should use. Continue to use Electrolyte Powder Packets until diarrhea stops.
- Refrigerate any unused solution for up to 24 hours.
- If you miss a dose of Electrolyte Powder Packets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Electrolyte Powder Packets.
Important safety information:
- If vomiting, fever, stomach pain or bloating, or diarrhea that lasts longer than 24 hours occurs, check with your doctor.
- Electrolyte Powder Packets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Electrolyte Powder Packets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Electrolyte Powder Packets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Electrolyte Powder Packets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Electrolyte Powder Packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Electrolyte Powder Packets:
Store Electrolyte Powder Packets at room temperature, below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. After mixing, store Electrolyte Powder Packets in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Throw away any medicine not used within 24 hours. Keep Electrolyte Powder Packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Electrolyte Powder Packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Electrolyte Powder Packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Electrolyte Powder Packets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.