Elixophyllin GG LiquidGeneric Name: Guaifenesin/Theophylline
Examples include Broncodur and Ed-Bron G
Elixophyllin GG Liquid is used for:
Preventing and treating symptoms and blockage of airway due to asthma or other lung diseases such as emphysema or bronchitis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Elixophyllin GG Liquid is a combination xanthine derivative and expectorant. The xanthine derivative works by relaxing the smooth muscle surrounding the bronchial tubes (air passages) of the lungs, allowing the tubes to widen, and making breathing easier. Elixophyllin GG Liquid improves contraction of the diaphragm (the major breathing muscle). The expectorant works by increasing respiratory secretions and loosening mucus in the airways.
Do NOT use Elixophyllin GG Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Elixophyllin GG Liquid (including ethylenediamine), similar medicines (eg, aminophylline), or xanthines (eg, caffeine, chocolate)
- you are using large amounts of other products that contain xanthine (such as chocolate or caffeinated drinks)
- you have ulcers or a seizure disorder for which you are not taking medicine
- you are taking dipyridamole intravenously (IV), halothane, or St. John's wort
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Elixophyllin GG Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Elixophyllin GG Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure, cor pulmonale), an irregular heartbeat, a history of ulcers, fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema), liver problems, fever, viral infection, severe infection (eg, blood infection), thyroid problems, cystic fibrosis, increased acid levels in the body, brain or nerve problems, or seizures (eg, epilepsy)
- if you are in shock
- if you smoke, are stopping or starting smoking, or are exposed to the smoke from cigarettes or marijuana
- if you are in the last 3 months of pregnancy
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Elixophyllin GG Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aminoglutethimide, barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), isoproterenol, moricizine, propafenone, rifampin, St. John's wort, or sulfinpyrazone because they may decrease Elixophyllin GG Liquid's effectiveness
- Allopurinol, cimetidine, disulfiram, enoxacin, estrogen, fluvoxamine, interferon alpha-a, macrolide antibiotics (eg, clarithromycin, erythromycin), methotrexate, mexiletine, oral contraceptives (birth control pills), pentoxifylline, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), tacrine, thiabendazole, ticlopidine, troleandomycin, verapamil, viloxazine, or zileuton because they may increase the risk of Elixophyllin GG Liquid's side effects
- Ephedrine because the risk of side effects such as nausea, nervousness, and trouble sleeping may be increased
- Halothane because the risk of side effects such as irregular heartbeat may be increased
- Ketamine because the risk of seizures may be increased
- Adenosine, benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam, lorazepam), dipyridamole IV, lithium, midazolam, or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, pancuronium) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Elixophyllin GG Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Elixophyllin GG Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Elixophyllin GG Liquid:
Use Elixophyllin GG Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Some foods may change the effectiveness or increase the side effects of Elixophyllin GG Liquid. Talk to your doctor about how you should take Elixophyllin GG Liquid with regard to food. Do not suddenly change your diet or eating habits without first checking with your doctor.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Take Elixophyllin GG Liquid at evenly spaced times throughout the day. Taking Elixophyllin GG Liquid at the same time each day will help you remember to take it. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns about the best way to take Elixophyllin GG Liquid.
- If you miss a dose of Elixophyllin GG Liquid, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Elixophyllin GG Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Use of alcohol may increase the risk of side effects of Elixophyllin GG Liquid. Talk to your doctor before drinking alcohol while you are taking Elixophyllin GG Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Elixophyllin GG Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Carry an ID card at all times that says you take Elixophyllin GG Liquid.
- Avoid large amounts of food or drink that have caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, cocoa, cola, chocolate).
- Notify your doctor if you develop a new illness, especially if it is accompanied by fever; if a chronic illness becomes worse; if you start or stop smoking cigarettes or marijuana; or if another doctor prescribes a new medication or tells you to stop using a medication that you have already been taking.
- Elixophyllin GG Liquid will not stop an asthma attack once one has started. Be sure to always carry appropriate rescue medicine (eg, bronchodilator inhaler) with you in case of an asthma attack.
- If you have more than one doctor, be sure to tell each of your doctors that you are taking Elixophyllin GG Liquid.
- Diabetes patients - Elixophyllin GG Liquid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including blood theophylline levels, may be performed while you use Elixophyllin GG Liquid. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Elixophyllin GG Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Elixophyllin GG Liquid in CHILDREN, especially newborns with kidney problems; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Elixophyllin GG Liquid while you are pregnant. Elixophyllin GG Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Elixophyllin GG Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Elixophyllin GG Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild and temporary changes in behavior; temporary increased urination.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; diarrhea; dizziness; fast breathing; heart rhythm problems or irregular heartbeats; nausea; persistent headache; seizures; sleeplessness; tremors; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; chest pain; confusion; decreased urination; fast or irregular heartbeat; headache; increased thirst; irritability; loss of appetite; muscle pain or tenderness; nausea; nervousness; persistent increased urination; restlessness; seizures; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach pain; tremors or twitching; vomiting, especially of blood.Proper storage of Elixophyllin GG Liquid:
Store Elixophyllin GG Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not refrigerate. Keep Elixophyllin GG Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Elixophyllin GG Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Elixophyllin GG Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Elixophyllin GG Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.