Elocon LotionGeneric Name: Mometasone
Elocon Lotion is used for:
Treating itching, redness, and swelling of many skin conditions.
Elocon Lotion is a topical corticosteroid. It works by reducing inflammatory reactions and modifying immune reactions in the body.
Do NOT use Elocon Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Elocon Lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Elocon Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Elocon Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have acne-like lesions, measles, inflammation around your mouth, a positive tuberculin skin test, tuberculosis, varicella (chickenpox), or a skin infection or atrophy (wasting) of your skin; or you have recently had a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Elocon Lotion. Because, little, if any, of Elocon Lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Elocon Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Elocon Lotion:
Use Elocon Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Apply a small amount of Elocon Lotion to the affected area once a day. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands immediately after using Elocon Lotion, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Elocon Lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Elocon Lotion.
Important safety information:
- Elocon Lotion is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Do not use Elocon Lotion on the face, underarms, groin, or diaper area unless your doctor tells you to.
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days, or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Elocon Lotion for longer than prescribed.
- Use Elocon Lotion only for the skin problem that it is intended for. Do not use Elocon Lotion for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Do not bandage or cover the treated area unless your doctor tells you to.
- Elocon Lotion has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Caution is advised when using Elocon Lotion in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects. Elocon Lotion should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed. Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Elocon Lotion.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Elocon Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if Elocon Lotion is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Elocon Lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Elocon Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Acne-like condition; burning; mild, temporary stinging when the medicine is applied.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); redness; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room right away.Proper storage of Elocon Lotion:
Store Elocon Lotion between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Elocon Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Elocon Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Elocon Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Elocon Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Elocon Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Elocon Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Elocon Consumer Overview