Embeline SolutionGeneric Name: Clobetasol
Examples include Embeline and Temovate
Embeline Solution is used for:
Treating inflammation and itching of the scalp due to certain skin conditions. It is also used to treat moderate to severe psoriasis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Embeline Solution is a topical adrenocortical steroid. It works by reducing skin inflammation (eg, redness, swelling, itching, irritation) in a way that is not clearly understood.
Do NOT use Embeline Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Embeline Solution or to other corticosteroids (eg, prednisone)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Embeline Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Embeline Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection of the scalp, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles, tuberculosis, chickenpox, or shingles; or have had a positive tuberculosis test
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Embeline Solution. Because little, if any, of Embeline Solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Embeline Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Embeline Solution:
Use Embeline Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area before applying Embeline Solution.
- Apply a small amount of Embeline Solution to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Embeline Solution.
- If applying to an area with hair, part the hair when applying so that Embeline Solution reaches the skin.
- Do not bandage or cover the treated skin area unless directed by your doctor. Do not wear tight-fitting clothes over the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Embeline Solution, apply it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not apply 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Embeline Solution.
Important safety information:
- Embeline Solution is for external use only. Do not get Embeline Solution in your eyes, nose, mouth, or on your lips. If contact is made with the eyes, flush them immediately with tap water.
- Use Embeline Solution with extreme caution if treating the face, groin, diaper area, or underarms.
- Do not use Embeline Solution to treat rosacea or conditions around the mouth.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Embeline Solution to treat large areas of your body without first checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Embeline Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while using Embeline Solution.
- Do not use Embeline Solution for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Embeline Solution has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Embeline Solution is flammable. Do not store or use near an open flame or while smoking.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Embeline Solution.
- Embeline Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Embeline Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Embeline Solution is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Embeline Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Embeline Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; itching; mild burning or stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Embeline Solution; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; numbness of fingers; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Embeline Solution:
Store Embeline Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not refrigerate or freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Embeline Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Embeline Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Embeline Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Embeline Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- clobetasol topical Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Clobex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clobex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Cormax Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Olux Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Olux-E Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Temovate Prescribing Information (FDA)