Erythromycin Filmtabs Generic Name:
Erythromycin Base and Stearate (e-RITH-roe-MYE-sin BASE STEER-ate)Brand Name:
Examples include Erythromycin Filmtabs and Erythrocin
Erythromycin Filmtabs is used for:
Treating infections caused by certain bacteria. It is also used to prevent attacks of rheumatic fever. It is also used to treat certain sexually transmitted diseases.
Erythromycin Filmtabs is a macrolide antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of, or sometimes killing, sensitive bacteria by reducing the production of important proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
Do NOT use Erythromycin Filmtabs if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Erythromycin Filmtabs
- you are taking astemizole, cisapride, conivaptan, diltiazem, dofetilide, an ergot alkaloid (eg, dihydroergotamine, ergotamine), everolimus, an HIV protease inhibitor (eg, ritonavir), imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), nilotinib, pimozide, a QT-prolonging agent (eg, quinidine, sotalol), a quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), a streptogramin (eg, quinupristin/dalfopristin), terfenadine, or verapamil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Erythromycin Filmtabs :
Some medical conditions may interact with Erythromycin Filmtabs . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are a child 9 years old or younger with diarrhea or gastrointestinal infection
- if you have kidney or liver disease, myasthenia gravis, or the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Erythromycin Filmtabs . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Astemizole, cisapride, diltiazem, dofetilide, an HIV protease inhibitor (eg, ritonavir), imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), nilotinib, pimozide, a QT-prolonging agent (eg, quinidine, sotalol), a quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), a streptogramin (eg, quinupristin/dalfopristin), terfenadine, or verapamil because side effects, such as heart toxicity or irregular heartbeat, may occur. Check with your doctor if you have questions about which medicines may affect your heartbeat
- Conivaptan, ergot alkaloids (eg, dihydroergotamine, ergotamine), or everolimus because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Erythromycin Filmtabs
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for aches and pains, allergies, blood thinning, breathing problems, cancer, diabetes, erection problems, gout, heart problems, high blood calcium levels, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, HIV infection, inflammation, infections, low blood sodium levels, migraine, mood or mental problems, overactive bladder, Parkinson disease, prevention of organ transplant rejection, seizures, stomach problems, trouble sleeping), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements (eg, herbal teas, coenzyme Q10, garlic, ginseng, ginkgo, St. John's wort) may also interact with Erythromycin Filmtabs . Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines might interfere with Erythromycin Filmtabs .
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Erythromycin Filmtabs may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Erythromycin Filmtabs :
Use Erythromycin Filmtabs as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Erythromycin Filmtabs by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Erythromycin Filmtabs with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Erythromycin Filmtabs works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Erythromycin Filmtabs for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you use Erythromycin Filmtabs . Serious heart problems can occur.
- If you miss a dose of Erythromycin Filmtabs , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Erythromycin Filmtabs .
Important safety information:
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Erythromycin Filmtabs only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Erythromycin Filmtabs for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Erythromycin Filmtabs may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Erythromycin Filmtabs before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Rarely, patients taking Erythromycin Filmtabs have developed reversible hearing loss. The risk is greater if you have kidney problems or you take high doses of Erythromycin Filmtabs . Contact your doctor if you develop decreased hearing or hearing loss.
- Erythromycin Filmtabs may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Erythromycin Filmtabs .
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Erythromycin Filmtabs . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Erythromycin Filmtabs while you are pregnant. Erythromycin Filmtabs is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Erythromycin Filmtabs , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Erythromycin Filmtabs :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; decreased hearing or hearing loss; irregular heartbeat; muscle weakness; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; stomach pain/cramps; symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes, pale stools, severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or dark urine).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Erythromycin Filmtabs :
Store Erythromycin Filmtabs at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep tightly closed. Keep Erythromycin Filmtabs out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Erythromycin Filmtabs , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Erythromycin Filmtabs is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Erythromycin Filmtabs . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.