Eszopiclone Generic Name:
Eszopiclone (ES-zoe-PIK-lone)Brand Name:
Eszopiclone is used for:
Treating sleeping problems with symptoms such as difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep during the night, and waking up too early in the morning.
Eszopiclone is a hypnotic or "sleep medicine." It works by helping to increase certain natural chemicals in the brain that cause sleep.
Do NOT use Eszopiclone if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Eszopiclone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Eszopiclone :
Some medical conditions may interact with Eszopiclone . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have or have had a history of depression or other mental or mood disorders, or if you have a history of suicidal thoughts or behavior
- if you have a history of abuse or dependency on alcohol, a prescription medicine, or other substances
- if you have a history of breathing problems or liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Eszopiclone . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Lorazepam or rifampicin because they may decrease Eszopiclone 's effectiveness
- Certain antibiotics (eg, clarithromycin, troleandomycin), antifungal medicines (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), medicines for HIV infection (eg, nelfinavir, ritonavir), nefazodone, or olanzapine because they may increase the risk of Eszopiclone 's side effects
- Antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), antihistamines (eg, chlorpheniramine, diphenhydramine), medicines for mental or mood disorders (eg, haloperidol, thioridazine), or medicines for seizures (eg, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects, including drowsiness and incoordination, may be increased by Eszopiclone
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Eszopiclone may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Eszopiclone :
Use Eszopiclone as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Eszopiclone comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Eszopiclone refilled.
- Take Eszopiclone by mouth. Do not take Eszopiclone with or immediately after a high-fat, heavy meal.
- Swallow Eszopiclone whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing unless your doctor tells you to.
- Eszopiclone works very quickly. Only take it immediately before or just after going to bed to decrease the risk of falling and other side effects.
- If you miss a dose of Eszopiclone and you are taking 1 dose daily at bedtime, skip the missed dose. Do not take the dose in the morning or take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Eszopiclone .
Important safety information:
- Eszopiclone may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Eszopiclone with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Eszopiclone ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- When you first start taking Eszopiclone , it may have a "carryover" effect on you the next day. Use extreme care while doing anything that requires complete alertness (eg, driving a car).
- Eszopiclone may cause a special type of memory loss or "amnesia." To avoid memory problems, be sure to use Eszopiclone only when you are able to get a full night's sleep (7 to 8 hours) before you need to be active again. Be sure to talk with your health care provider if you think you are having memory problems.
- Some patients taking Eszopiclone have performed certain activities while they were not fully awake. These have included sleep-driving, making and eating food, making phone calls, and having sex. Patients often do not remember these events after they happen. Such an event may be more likely to occur if you use a high dose of Eszopiclone . It may also be more likely if you drink alcohol or take other medicines that may cause drowsiness while you use Eszopiclone . Tell your doctor right away if such an event happens to you.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 to 10 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- When you stop taking Eszopiclone , you may notice some trouble sleeping the first few nights after the medicine is stopped. This usually goes away after 1 or 2 nights.
- If you or your family notice any changes in your behavior (eg, more outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal, confusion, strange behavior, agitation), or if you have any unusual or disturbing thoughts, contact your doctor immediately.
- Use Eszopiclone with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Eszopiclone should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Eszopiclone may cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Eszopiclone while you are pregnant. It is not known if Eszopiclone is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Eszopiclone , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
When used for longer than a few weeks or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Eszopiclone . This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you stop taking Eszopiclone suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. This may include unpleasant feelings. In more severe cases, you may have stomach and muscle cramps, vomiting, sweating, and shakiness. Seizures may rarely occur. If you take Eszopiclone for more than 1 to 2 weeks, do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor.
Possible side effects of Eszopiclone :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Anxiety; decrease in sexual desire; difficulty with coordination; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; indigestion; lightheadedness; nausea; nervousness; unpleasant taste; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); aggressive behavior; breast growth; chest pain; confusion; depression; hallucinations; memory problems (such as amnesia); mental or mood changes; painful menstrual periods; seizures; severe mood swings; suicidal thoughts; swelling of hands or feet; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, sore throat, sinus or chest congestion); unusual or disturbing thoughts.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include loss of consciousness; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of Eszopiclone :
Store Eszopiclone at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Eszopiclone out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Eszopiclone , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Eszopiclone is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Eszopiclone . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Eszopiclone Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Eszopiclone Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- eszopiclone Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Lunesta Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lunesta Consumer Overview