EthexDERM BPW WashGeneric Name: Benzoyl Peroxide
(BEN-zoyl per-OX-ide)Brand Name:
Examples include Benzac AC and EthexDERM BPW
EthexDERM BPW Wash is used for:
EthexDERM BPW Wash is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. The effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide appears to be due to its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use EthexDERM BPW Wash if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in EthexDERM BPW Wash
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using EthexDERM BPW Wash:
Some medical conditions may interact with EthexDERM BPW Wash. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with EthexDERM BPW Wash. However, no specific interactions with EthexDERM BPW Wash are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if EthexDERM BPW Wash may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use EthexDERM BPW Wash:
Use EthexDERM BPW Wash as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wet the affected area. Use your hands to apply the medicine and gently wash the affected area. Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Wash your hands after using EthexDERM BPW Wash.
- If you miss a dose of EthexDERM BPW Wash, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use EthexDERM BPW Wash.
Important safety information:
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting EthexDERM BPW Wash in your eyes, eyelids, on the inside of your nose or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get EthexDERM BPW Wash in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying EthexDERM BPW Wash to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use EthexDERM BPW Wash for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- EthexDERM BPW Wash may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to EthexDERM BPW Wash. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- EthexDERM BPW Wash may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- EthexDERM BPW Wash should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if EthexDERM BPW Wash can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using EthexDERM BPW Wash while you are pregnant. It is not known if EthexDERM BPW Wash is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use EthexDERM BPW Wash, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of EthexDERM BPW Wash:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; peeling; redness; stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, irritation, peeling, redness, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of EthexDERM BPW Wash:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container, away from fire, flame, heat, moisture, and light. Keep EthexDERM BPW Wash out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about EthexDERM BPW Wash, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- EthexDERM BPW Wash is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about EthexDERM BPW Wash. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.