Excof-SF LiquidGeneric Name: Carbinoxamine/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine
Examples include Excof-SF and Max HC
Excof-SF Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory tract infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Excof-SF Liquid is a decongestant, antihistamine, and narcotic cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex, which reduces a dry cough.
Do NOT use Excof-SF Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Excof-SF Liquid or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, oxycodone)
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you have diarrhea due to antibiotic use or poisoning
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB), droxidopa, or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Excof-SF Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Excof-SF Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat or other heart or blood vessel problems
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); liver or kidney problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; stroke; glaucoma; increased pressure in the eye; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; trouble sleeping; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of head or brain injury, brain tumor, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you have a history of stomach problems (eg, ulcers), bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel, chronic constipation), or gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), or if you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you are very ill or very weak or you have a history of alcohol or substance abuse or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Excof-SF Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Excof-SF Liquid's side effects
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), cimetidine, digoxin, droxidopa, or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, breathing problems, seizures, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Naltrexone because it may decrease Excof-SF Liquid's effectiveness
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Excof-SF Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Excof-SF Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Excof-SF Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Excof-SF Liquid:
Use Excof-SF Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Excof-SF Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Excof-SF Liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Excof-SF Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Excof-SF Liquid may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Excof-SF Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Excof-SF Liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not use Excof-SF Liquid for a cough with a lot of mucous. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Excof-SF Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Excof-SF Liquid has phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Excof-SF Liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Excof-SF Liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Excof-SF Liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Excof-SF Liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Excof-SF Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Excof-SF Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially drowsiness or excitability.
- Caution is advised when using Excof-SF Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially drowsiness or excitability.
- Excof-SF Liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Excof-SF Liquid may cause harm to the fetus if taken during late pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Excof-SF Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Excof-SF Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Excof-SF Liquid.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Excof-SF Liquid may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Excof-SF Liquid stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Excof-SF Liquid. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you suddenly stop taking Excof-SF Liquid, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; rapid heartbeat; seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; trouble sleeping.
Possible side effects of Excof-SF Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; restlessness; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org ), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include cold, clammy skin; confusion; difficulty breathing; dilated pupils; flushing; hallucinations; loss of coordination; overexcitement; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, headache, or vomiting; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Excof-SF Liquid:
Store Excof-SF Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Excof-SF Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Excof-SF Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Excof-SF Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Excof-SF Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Excof-SF Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)