Exelderm SolutionGeneric Name: Sulconazole Nitrate
Exelderm Solution is used for:
Treating fungal infections, such as jock itch, ringworm, and tinea versicolor (a fungal infection affecting the skin of the upper arms, chest, back, and sometimes the neck and face).
Exelderm Solution is an antifungal. It works by blocking the growth of fungi.
Do NOT use Exelderm Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Exelderm Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Exelderm Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Exelderm Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Exelderm Solution. Because little, if any, of Exelderm Solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Exelderm Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Exelderm Solution:
Use Exelderm Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Exelderm Solution for the full course of treatment.
- Exelderm Solution is for external use only.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently.
- Do not cover unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Exelderm Solution, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Exelderm Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Exelderm Solution.
Important safety information:
- Exelderm Solution is for external use only.
- Do not get Exelderm Solution in your eyes.
- Exelderm Solution may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Exelderm Solution by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- If your condition does not improve within 4 to 6 weeks or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Use Exelderm Solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Exelderm Solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Exelderm Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Exelderm Solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Exelderm Solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Exelderm Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning; itching; redness; stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Exelderm Solution:
Store Exelderm Solution at room temperature. Avoid temperatures above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Exelderm Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Exelderm Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Exelderm Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Exelderm Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Exelderm Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Exelderm Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Exelderm Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information