Exelon SolutionGeneric Name: Rivastigmine
Exelon Solution is used for:
Treating mild to moderate dementia (eg, impairment of memory or judgement, abstract thinking, changes in personality) in patients with Alzheimer disease or Parkinson disease.
Exelon Solution is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It works by increasing the amount of a certain substance (acetylcholine) in the brain. This may help reduce symptoms of dementia in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Do NOT use Exelon Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Exelon Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Exelon Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Exelon Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of kidney problems, certain heart problems (eg, slow or irregular heartbeat, sick sinus syndrome), seizures (eg, epilepsy), stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcer), lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]), or urinary blockage
- if you have dementia or other decreased mental ability that is not caused by Alzheimer disease or Parkinson disease
- if you are scheduled to have surgery or other medical procedures with general anesthesia
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Exelon Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because the risk of stomach or bowel bleeding may be increased
- Cholinergic agents (eg, bethanechol) or cholinesterase inhibitors (eg, donepezil) because they may increase the risk of Exelon Solution's side effects
- Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Exelon Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Exelon Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Exelon Solution:
Use Exelon Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Exelon Solution. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Exelon Solution by mouth with the morning and evening meals, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Use the syringe that comes with the medicine to measure your dose. Hold the bottle upright. Insert the tip of the syringe into the opening of the white stopper. Hold the syringe and pull the plunger up to the level that equals the dose prescribed by your doctor. Move the plunger up and down a few times to push out the large bubbles. Pull the plunger again to the level that equals your prescribed dose. Do not worry about small bubbles in the syringe. Remove the syringe from the bottle.
- You may swallow Exelon Solution directly from the syringe. It may also be mixed with a small glass of water, cold fruit juice, or soda. Do NOT mix with other liquids. If you mix Exelon Solution, be sure to stir well and drink the entire mixture. Medicine that is mixed with cold fruit juice or soda may be stored at room temperature for up to 4 hours.
- After using the syringe, wipe it with a clean tissue. Put it back into its case. Close the bottle tightly.
- Take Exelon Solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Taking Exelon Solution at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Exelon Solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Exelon Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. Contact your doctor if you miss several doses of Exelon Solution. Your doctor may need to restart your medicine at a lower dose to avoid side effects.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Exelon Solution.
Important safety information:
- Exelon Solution may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Exelon Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- When you begin taking Exelon Solution, your doctor will increase your dose slowly over several months. This may help to decrease the risk of certain side effects (eg, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite). Carefully follow the dosing schedule prescribed by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Exelon Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Exelon Solution should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Exelon Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Exelon Solution is found in breast milk. Exelon Solution is not approved for use in women who may be breast-feeding.
Possible side effects of Exelon Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach upset or pain; tiredness; vomiting; weakness; weight loss.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); anxiety; bloody or black, tarry stools; chest pain; decreased urination; depression; fainting; fever; new or worsening tremor or uncontrolled muscle movements; new or worsening trouble walking; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, tiredness, or weakness; slow or irregular heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; increased saliva production; loss of consciousness; muscle weakness; seizures; severe dizziness; severe nausea or vomiting; severely increased sweating; slow heartbeat; slow or shallow breathing.Proper storage of Exelon Solution:
Store Exelon Solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Exelon Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Exelon Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Exelon Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Exelon Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Exelon Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Exelon Consumer Overview
- Exelon Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Exelon Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Rivastigmine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)