Extendryl SolutionGeneric Name: Dexchlorpheniramine/Phenylephrine/Methscopolamine
Examples include Dexphen M and Extendryl
Extendryl Solution is used for:
Relieving nasal and chest congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and itchy, watery eyes due to colds, flu, or allergies. It is also used to make a dry cough more productive and less frequent. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Extendryl Solution is an antihistamine, decongestant, and anticholinergic combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The anticholinergic works by drying mucous membranes in the nose and airway.
Do NOT use Extendryl Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Extendryl Solution
- you are pregnant or breast-feeding
- you are taking droxidopa, furazolidone, sodium oxybate (GHB), or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine), or if you have taken an MAOI within the past 14 days
- you have severe heart blood vessel problems, severe high blood pressure, narrow-angle glaucoma, difficulty urinating due to enlarged prostate, peptic ulcer, or uncontrolled bleeding
- you are having an asthma attack
- the patient is a newborn or infant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Extendryl Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Extendryl Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are taking or have taken medicine for high blood pressure or depression in the last 14 days, or if you take potassium chloride
- if you have bladder blockage, blood vessel problems (eg, hardening of the arteries), diabetes, an enlarged prostate, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, nerve problems, memory problems, heart problems (eg, fast or irregular heartbeat, heart failure), heart blood vessel problems, high blood pressure, kidney or liver problems, lung or breathing problems (eg asthma, sleep apnea), a hiatal hernia, esophagus problems, stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcerative colitis), mental or mood problems (eg, depression), an adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma), myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness), stomach or bowel problems (eg, constipation, inflammation, motility problems, blockage), trouble sleeping, or an overactive thyroid
- if the patient is a child who has Down syndrome, spastic paralysis, or brain damage
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse or if you are very ill
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Extendryl Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Alkalizers (eg, calcium or magnesium antacids), alpha-blockers (eg, doxazosin), anesthetics (eg, chloroform, lidocaine), anticholinergics (eg, atropine, benztropine, dicyclomine), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), certain antidiarrheals (eg, bismuth subsalicylate), ergotamine, furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium bicarbonate, or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Extendryl Solution's side effects
- Bromocriptine, certain stimulants (eg, doxapram, pseudoephedrine), digoxin, droxidopa, potassium chloride, or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Extendryl Solution
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, reserpine, or other medicine for high blood pressure because their effectiveness may be decreased by Extendryl Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Extendryl Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Extendryl Solution:
Use Extendryl Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Extendryl Solution by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Do not take Extendryl Solution at the same time as antacids, certain medicines for diarrhea (eg, attapulgite, bismuth, kaolin, pectin), or ketoconazole. Take these medicines 2 or 3 hours before or after taking Extendryl Solution.
- If you miss a dose of Extendryl Solution and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Extendryl Solution.
Important safety information:
- Extendryl Solution may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Extendryl Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Extendryl Solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- The risk of dizziness, nervousness, and trouble sleeping may be greater if you take Extendryl Solution in high doses or for a long time. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If your cough or other symptoms persist for more than 1 week, if they come back, or if you also have fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Extendryl Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Extendryl Solution may cause dry mouth. To relieve dry mouth, suck on sugarless hard candy or ice chips, chew sugarless gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute.
- Extendryl Solution may reduce sweating. Do not become overheated in hot weather or during exercise or other activities because heatstroke may occur.
- Extendryl Solution may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Extendryl Solution. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Extendryl Solution may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- Extendryl Solution has phenylephrine and an antihistamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine or an antihistamine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Extendryl Solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Extendryl Solution may interfere with certain lab test results. Be sure your doctors and laboratory personnel know that you are taking Extendryl Solution.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure and eye pressure, may be performed while you use Extendryl Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Extendryl Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability, agitation, drowsiness, or confusion.
- Extendryl Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Extendryl Solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Extendryl Solution can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Extendryl Solution while you are pregnant. Extendryl Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Extendryl Solution.
Possible side effects of Extendryl Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability or irritability (especially in children); giddiness; headache; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset; trouble sleeping; unsteadiness; unusual tiredness or weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast or irregular heartbeat; fever or sore throat; flushing; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; seizures; severe drowsiness; severe sunburn; shortness of breath; tingling in hands or feet; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes (eg, confusion, anxiety); pupil enlargement; seizure; severe dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, or vomiting; tremor; trouble swallowing.Proper storage of Extendryl Solution:
Store Extendryl Solution in a tightly closed container between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat and light. Keep Extendryl Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Extendryl Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Extendryl Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Extendryl Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Extendryl Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)