Ferrous Sulfate ElixirGeneric Name:
Ferrous Sulfate (FER-us SULL-fate)Brand Name:
Generic only. No brands available.
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Ferrous Sulfate Elixir is used for:
Preventing or treating low levels of iron in the blood. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ferrous Sulfate Elixir is an essential body mineral. It works by replacing iron in your body if your body does not produce enough on its own.
Do NOT use Ferrous Sulfate Elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferrous Sulfate Elixir
- you have high levels of iron in your blood
- you are taking disulfiram
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferrous Sulfate Elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferrous Sulfate Elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation of the intestines, Crohn disease, digestive problems, ulcers, anemia, or a blood disease (eg, porphyria, thalassemia)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferrous Sulfate Elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ferrous Sulfate Elixir
- Cephalosporins (eg, cefotetan), disulfiram, fluorouracil, furazolidone, metronidazole, or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of side effects, such as flushing, headache, fast or irregular heartbeat, nausea, or vomiting, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferrous Sulfate Elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferrous Sulfate Elixir:
Use Ferrous Sulfate Elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ferrous Sulfate Elixir by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Ferrous Sulfate Elixir with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Ferrous Sulfate Elixir.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Ferrous Sulfate Elixir may be mixed in water or fruit juice. Be sure to drink the entire dose.
- If you are also taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), methyldopa, penicillamine, quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, minocycline) along with Ferrous Sulfate Elixir, you may need to space the doses several hours apart. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how much time is needed between doses of Ferrous Sulfate Elixir and your other medicines.
- Do not take Ferrous Sulfate Elixir within 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.
- If you miss a dose of Ferrous Sulfate Elixir, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferrous Sulfate Elixir.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Ferrous Sulfate Elixir unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
- Ferrous Sulfate Elixir has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Ferrous Sulfate Elixir may temporarily stain the teeth. Mixing Ferrous Sulfate Elixir with water or fruit juice or drinking it through a straw may help to decrease this effect.
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts and blood iron levels, may be performed while you use Ferrous Sulfate Elixir. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Ferrous Sulfate Elixir should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ferrous Sulfate Elixir while you are pregnant. Ferrous Sulfate Elixir is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ferrous Sulfate Elixir, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ferrous Sulfate Elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; fever; vomiting with continuing sharp stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include loss of consciousness; difficulty breathing; seizures; severe nausea; stomach pain; tarry stools; unusual tiredness; vomiting; weak, fast heartbeat.Proper storage of Ferrous Sulfate Elixir:
Store Ferrous Sulfate Elixir at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ferrous Sulfate Elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ferrous Sulfate Elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferrous Sulfate Elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ferrous Sulfate Elixir. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- ferrous sulfate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Feosol Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information