Fleet Phospho-Soda SolutionGeneric Name: Sodium Phosphates
(SOE-dee-um FOS-fates)Brand Name:
Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution is used for:
Cleansing the bowel before certain medical procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution is a saline laxative. It works by pulling water from the body into the bowel, which helps to soften the stool and cause a bowel movement.
Do NOT use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution
- you have a blockage of the bowel or other severe bowel problems, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, or too much phosphate in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are on a sodium-restricted diet or have a history of stomach or bowel problems
- if you have appendicitis, liver or kidney problems, high blood pressure, low parathyroid function, bone problems (eg, osteomalacia), muscle problems (eg, rhabdomyolysis), pancreas problems, a kidney or bladder infection, kidney stones, electrolyte problems (eg, low blood calcium), a colostomy, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or a sudden change in bowel movements lasting longer than 2 weeks
- if you have already used a laxative for more than 1 week
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. However, no specific interactions with Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
Use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Dilute the dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution with a half-glass (4 oz/120 mL) of cold water, then drink all of the liquid. Follow with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not use more than 1 dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution within 24 hours, unless instructed differently by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution.
Important safety information:
- Stop using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution and contact your doctor if you have rectal bleeding or fail to have a bowel movement after using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. These symptoms may indicate a serious condition.
- Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 5 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; gas; nausea; stomach cramps.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stools; continued constipation; dizziness; vomiting; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
Store Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.