Floxin Otic SolutionGeneric Name: Ofloxacin
Floxin Otic Solution is used for:
Treating outer and some middle ear infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Floxin Otic Solution is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It works by killing the bacteria.
Do NOT use Floxin Otic Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Floxin Otic Solution
- you have had a severe allergic reaction to another fluoroquinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Floxin Otic Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Floxin Otic Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have tendonitis (swelling of the tendons)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Floxin Otic Solution. However, no specific interactions with Floxin Otic Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Floxin Otic Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Floxin Otic Solution:
Use Floxin Otic Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Floxin Otic Solution is only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for 1 or 2 minutes to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear. Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for 5 minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from contaminating the medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you are using Floxin Otic Solution for a middle ear infection, pump the flap over the ear 4 times after instilling the medicine in order to help it reach the middle ear.
- Floxin Otic Solution works best if used at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Floxin Otic Solution for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Floxin Otic Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Floxin Otic Solution.
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use Floxin Otic Solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Floxin Otic Solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Floxin Otic Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Floxin Otic Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Floxin Otic Solution is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while taking Floxin Otic Solution.
Possible side effects of Floxin Otic Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Itching of the ear; taste changes.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased hearing; ear irritation; hearing loss; redness, bleeding, or swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Floxin Otic Solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Floxin Otic Solution:
Store Floxin Otic Solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Floxin Otic Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Floxin Otic Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Floxin Otic Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is summary only. It does not contain all information about Floxin Otic Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Floxin Consumer Overview
- Floxin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Floxin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Floxin Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Ofloxacin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ofloxacin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Ofloxacin Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)