Fluocinonide GelGeneric Name:
Fluocinonide (floo-oh-SIN-oh-nide)Brand Name:
Fluocinonide Gel is used for:
Treating inflammation and itching due to certain skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fluocinonide Gel is a topical adrenocortical steroid. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation) by a way that is not clearly understood.
Do NOT use Fluocinonide Gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fluocinonide Gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fluocinonide Gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fluocinonide Gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles, tuberculosis, chicken pox, or shingles; or have had a positive tuberculosis test
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fluocinonide Gel. Because little, if any, of Fluocinonide Gel is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Fluocinonide Gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fluocinonide Gel:
Use Fluocinonide Gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Fluocinonide Gel, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or cover the treated skin area unless directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Fluocinonide Gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fluocinonide Gel.
Important safety information:
- Fluocinonide Gel is for external use only. Do not get Fluocinonide Gel in your eyes. If contact is made with the eyes, flush them immediately with tap water.
- If Fluocinonide Gel is applied to the diaper area, apply a very small amount and do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine while you are using Fluocinonide Gel.
- Do not use Fluocinonide Gel for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Fluocinonide Gel.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fluocinonide Gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if Fluocinonide Gel is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Fluocinonide Gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Fluocinonide Gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; itching.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Fluocinonide Gel; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Fluocinonide Gel:
Store Fluocinonide Gel at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Fluocinonide Gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fluocinonide Gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fluocinonide Gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Fluocinonide Gel. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- fluocinonide topical Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Lidex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lidex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Lidex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Lidex Topical Solution Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lidex-E Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Vanos Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Vanos Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)