OTC and Prescription Drug Abuse Slideshow
Sex-Drive Killers: Causes of Low Libido
Drugs, teratogenic: A teratogen is an agent that can disturb the development of the embryo or fetus. Teratogens halt the pregnancy or produce a congenital malformation (a birth defect). Classes of teratogens include radiation, maternal infections, chemicals, and drugs.
Drugs that are capable of acting as teratogens include:
- ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors such as:
- benazepril (Lotensin),
- captopril (Capoten),
- enalapril (Vasotec),
- fosinopril sodium (Monopril),
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil),
- lisinopril + hydrochlorothiazide (Zestoretic, Prinzide),
- quinapril (Accupril) and
- ramipril (Altace).
- Acne medication isotretinoin (Accutane, Retin-A).
- Alcohol ingested chronically or in binges.
- Androgens (male hormones).
- Antibiotics tetracycline (Achromycin), and
doxycycline (Vibramycin), and streptomycin.
- Anticoagulant (blood-thinner) warfarin (Coumadin).
- Anticonvulsants (seizure medications) such as:
- phenytoin (Dilatin),
- valproic acid (Depakene, Valprotate),
- trimethadione (Tridione),
- paramethadione (Paradione), and
- carbamazepine (Tegretol).
- Anti-depressant drug lithium (Eskalith, Lithob).
- Antimetabolite/anticancer drugs methotrexate (Rheumatrex) and aminopterin.
- Antirheumatic agent and metal-binder (chelator) penicillamine (Ciprimene, Depen).
- Antithyroid drugs such as:
- thiouracil/propylthiouracil and
- DES (diethylstilbestrol), a hormone.
- Thalidomide (THALOMID) which was approved by the FDA for the treatment of a complication of leprosy (erythema nodosum leprosum).
For More Information «Drugs, teratogenic»
Teratogenic drugs: A teratogen is an agent that can disturb the development of the embryo or fetus. Teratogens halt the pregnancy or produce a congenital malformation ...
Labeling: "[The drug] has been shown to be teratogenic (or to have an embryocidal effect or other adverse effect) in [species] when given in doses [X] times the ...
Many antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) have therapeutic applications that extend beyond epilepsy to include neuropathic pain, migraine headaches and psychiatric disorders.
Environmental teratogenic factors (e.g. alcohol) are preventable. We focus our analysis on human teratogenic drugs which are not used frequently during ...
Are over-the-counter drugs, prescription drugs, or vitamin supplements safe while you are pregnant? Find out what medications may put you or your baby at risk.
Comment «Drugs, teratogenic»