Flood warning: A flood watch or warning.
The steps to take in case a flood watch or warning has been issued include the following:
- Gather Supplies -- Gather the emergency supplies you previously stocked in your home. See: Flood supplies kit.
- Stay Tuned -- Stay tuned to local radio or television station for updates. Also check the latest from the national weather service.
- Turn Off Utilities -- Turn off all utilities at the main power switch and close the main gas valve if evacuation appears necessary.
- Immunization Records -- Have your immunization records handy or be aware of your last tetanus shot, in case you should receive a puncture wound or a wound becomes contaminated during or after the flood.
- Fresh Water -- Fill bathtubs, sinks and plastic soda bottles with clean water. Sanitize the sinks and tubs first by using bleach. Rinse and fill with clean water.
- Outside Items -- Bring outdoor possessions, such as lawn furniture, grills and trash cans inside or tie them down securely.
Expect the need to evacuate and prepare for it. When a flood watch is issued, you should:
- Tank Up -- Fill your vehicle's gas tank and make sure the emergency kit for your car is ready.
- Wheels -- If no vehicle is available, make arrangements with friends or family for transportation.
- Clean Water -- Fill your clean water containers.
Review your emergency plans and supplies, checking to see if any items are missing.
- Keep Informed -- Tune in the radio or television for weather updates. Listen for disaster sirens and warning signals.
- Animals -- Put livestock and family pets in a safe area. Due to food and sanitation requirements, emergency shelters cannot accept animals.
- Thermostats -- Adjust the thermostat on refrigerators and freezers to the coolest possible temperature.
These recommendations are based on those of the CDC (the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
See also: Flood readiness; Flood supplies kit.
For More Information «Flood warning»
flood statement national weather service sioux falls sd 1052 am cdt sun aug 7 2011 ...the flood warning continues for the following rivers in south dakota...nebraska ...
flood statement national weather service kansas city/pleasant hill mo 954 am cdt sun aug 7 2011 ...the flood warning continues for the following rivers in missouri ...
000 wgus43 kbis 071525 flwbis bulletin - immediate broadcast requested flood warning national weather service bismarck nd 1025 am cdt sun aug 7 2011 ndc031-093-103 ...
The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning for part of the Wallow Fire and the Locust Fire burned areas in southeastern Apache and ...
Find out whether there are any flood warnings in your area.
Comment «Flood warning»