Genetics: The scientific study of heredity. Genetics pertains to humans and all other organisms. So, for example, there is human genetics, mouse genetics, fruitfly genetics, etc.
Human genetics today comprises a number of overlapping fields, including:
- Classical or formal genetics -- the study of the transmission of single genes within families and the analysis of more complex types of inheritance.
- Clinical genetics -- the diagnosis, prognosis and, in some cases, the treatment of genetic diseases.
- Genetic counseling -- an important area within clinical genetics involving the diagnosis, risk assessment, and interpersonal communication.
- Cytogenetics -- the study of chromosomes in health and disease.
- Biochemical genetics -- the biochemistry of nucleic acids and proteins including enzymes.
- Pharmacogenetics -- how genes govern the absorption, metabolism and disposal of drugs and untoward reactions to them.
- Molecular genetics -- the molecular study of genetics including particularly DNA and RNA.
- Immunogenetics -- the genetics of the immune system including blood groups, HLA, and the immunoglobulins.
- Behavioral genetics -- the study of genetic factors in behavior in health and disease including mental retardation and mental illness.
- Population genetics -- the study of genes within populations including gene frequencies, the gene pool, and evolution.
- Reproductive genetics -- the genetics of reproduction including genes and chromosomes in germ cells and the early embryo.
- Developmental genetics -- the genetics of normal and abnormal development including congenital malformations (birth defects).
- Ecogenetics -- the interaction of genetics with the
- Forensic genetics -- the application of genetic knowledge, including DNA, to legal matters.
For More Information «Genetics»
Publishes the results of original research in genetics, biochemistry and molecular biology. Includes article abstracts. Full text requires subscription.
Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary ( jÉ™-nÄ•t ' Äks ) n. (used with a sing. verb) The branch of biology that deals with heredity, especially the mechanisms ...
TOUR THE BASICS Are you a little confused by all the talk about DNA and genes? Try our animated tour! DNA TO PROTEIN Learn about DNA ...
Genetics Home Reference (GHR) provides free access to consumer-friendly information on medical genetics to patients and their family members, health care ...
The Genetic Science Learning Center is an internationally acclaimed science education program at the University of Utah. Visit our websites: Learn.Genetics Teach ...