Nasacort AQ SprayGeneric Name: Triamcinolone
Nasacort AQ Spray is used for:
Treating nasal allergy symptoms. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nasacort AQ Spray is a topical adrenocortical steroid. It works by reducing inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, irritation) in the nasal passages.
Do NOT use Nasacort AQ Spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nasacort AQ Spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if this applies to you.
Before using Nasacort AQ Spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nasacort AQ Spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of nasal sores or injury, or have had nasal surgery
- if you have had a recent vaccination; you have measles, tuberculosis, chickenpox, or shingles; or you have had a positive tuberculosis test
- if you have an untreated viral, fungal, or bacterial infection or herpes eye infection
- if you have asthma or diarrhea
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nasacort AQ Spray. Because little, if any, of Nasacort AQ Spray is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Nasacort AQ Spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nasacort AQ Spray:
Use Nasacort AQ Spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Nasacort AQ Spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Shake well before each use.
- Remove the cover and clip from the spray pump before use. Do not try to make the hole at the end of the spray tip bigger.
- Before the first use, prime the spray pump by rapidly and firmly pumping it 5 times (until a full spray appears).
- If you have not used the spray pump for more than 14 days, reprime it by shaking the bottle and pumping it once. Do not reprime the pump if you have used it more frequently.
- To use a nose spray, gently blow your nose. Sit down and tilt your head back slightly. Place the tip of the spray container into the nose. Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close it off. Breathe gently through the open nostril and squeeze the spray container. If you are using more than 1 spray, wait for 1 to 2 minutes between sprays. After using the medicine, rinse the tip of the spray unit in hot water and dry with a clean tissue to prevent contamination.
- Replace the cover and clip to the container after each use.
- Do not blow your nose for 15 minutes after using Nasacort AQ Spray.
- If the pump becomes clogged, do not try to unclog it with a pin or sharp object. This will destroy the pump. Remove the cap and spray nozzle from the bottle. Soak the cap and spray nozzle in warm water for a few minutes, then rinse under cold water. Shake or tap off excess water and allow to air dry. Place the nozzle back on the pump, reprime until a fine mist is seen, and then use as normal.
- Use Nasacort AQ Spray on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using Nasacort AQ Spray at the same time each day will help you remember to use it.
- If you miss a dose of Nasacort AQ Spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nasacort AQ Spray.
Important safety information:
- Nasacort AQ Spray is for nasal use only. Do not get Nasacort AQ Spray in your eyes. If contact is made with the eyes, flush them immediately with tap water. Do not spray Nasacort AQ Spray directly on the wall that separates your nostrils.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Ask your pharmacist or check the packaging to see how many sprays this bottle contains. Do not use this bottle for more sprays than indicated, because the amount of medicine in each spray may be decreased. Throw away any unused medicine. Do not transfer unused medicine to another bottle. Do not puncture, break, or burn the container, even if it appears empty.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 3 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine while you are using Nasacort AQ Spray.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Nasacort AQ Spray. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they take Nasacort AQ Spray.
- Nasacort AQ Spray should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nasacort AQ Spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if Nasacort AQ Spray is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nasacort AQ Spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nasacort AQ Spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Cough; nosebleed; sore throat.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); muscle weakness; nasal discomfort; repeated nosebleeds; unusual or persistent stomach upset; unusual weight gain, especially in the face; white patches in the mouth.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; severe or persistent headache or vomiting; trouble breathing; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Nasacort AQ Spray:
Store Nasacort AQ Spray at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nasacort AQ Spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nasacort AQ Spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nasacort AQ Spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Nasacort AQ Spray. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nasacort AQ Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Nasacort Consumer Overview
- Nasacort Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Nasacort AQ Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Nasacort HFA Prescribing Information (FDA)