Nebupent SolutionGeneric Name: Pentamidine
Nebupent Solution is used for:
Preventing Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PCP) in high-risk HIV patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nebupent Solution is an antiprotozoal agent. Exactly how Nebupent Solution works in unknown.
Do NOT use Nebupent Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nebupent Solution
- you are taking cisapride, dofetilide, an H1 antagonist (eg, astemizole, terfenadine), ibutilide, sparfloxacin, zalcitabine, or ziprasidone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nebupent Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nebupent Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat), high or low blood pressure, blood problems (eg, anemia, low levels of white blood cells or platelets), low level of calcium in the blood, or liver, kidney, or pancreas problems
- if you have diabetes or high or low blood sugar
- if you are dehydrated
- if you have a history of breathing or lung problems (eg, asthma), smoking, or PCP
- if you have a history of Stevens-Johnson syndrome (red, swollen, blistered, peeling skin)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nebupent Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Arsenic, cisapride, dofetilide, H1 antagonists (eg, astemizole, terfenadine), ibutilide, ketolides (eg, telithromycin), macrolides (eg, erythromycin), sparfloxacin, or ziprasidone because the risk of side effects such as irregular heartbeat may be increased
- Zalcitabine because the risk of pancreas side effects may be increased
- Medicines that may harm the kidney (eg, aminoglycoside antibiotics [eg, gentamicin], amphotericin B, cisplatin, cyclosporine, foscarnet, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs] [eg, ibuprofen], tacrolimus, vancomycin) because the risk of kidney side effects may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nebupent Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nebupent Solution:
Use Nebupent Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Nebupent Solution is usually administered as an inhalation at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Nebupent Solution at home, carefully follow the inhalation procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- Nebupent Solution should be mixed with 6 mL sterile water immediately before use unless you are directed otherwise by your doctor.
- When using Nebupent Solution, continue to inhale it until the entire chamber is empty (around 30 to 45 minutes) unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Nebupent Solution should only be inhaled using the Respirgard II nebulizer.
- Do not mix Nebupent Solution with any other medicines. Do not use the Respirgard II nebulizer to administer any other medicines.
- Continue to use Nebupent Solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Nebupent Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nebupent Solution.
Important safety information:
- Nebupent Solution may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Nebupent Solution. Using Nebupent Solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- You may still develop PCP even if you are using Nebupent Solution. Contact your doctor or other health care provider immediately if you develop difficulty breathing, cough, or fever.
- Nebupent Solution may cause low blood sugar (eg, increased heartbeat, headache, chills, sweating, tremor, increased hunger, changes in vision, nervousness, weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting) or high blood sugar (eg, thirst, increased urination, confusion, drowsiness, flushing, rapid breathing, fruity breath odor). If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor immediately.
- Use Nebupent Solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 17 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Nebupent Solution can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Nebupent Solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Nebupent Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Nebupent Solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Nebupent Solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nebupent Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bad taste in mouth; cough; decreased appetite; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; night sweats; sinus inflammation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; chest pain; dark urine; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; herpes infection (eg, shingles); increased or decreased urination; increased thirst; mental or mood changes; one-sided weakness; pounding in the chest; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, nausea, or cough; shortness of breath; slurred speech; stomach pain; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; wheezing; white patches in the mouth or throat; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; decreased urination; severe or persistent dizziness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Nebupent Solution:
Store Nebupent Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). After mixing, Nebupent Solution may be store at room temperature in the original vial for 48 hours if protected from light. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nebupent Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nebupent Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nebupent Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Nebupent Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nebupent Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Nebupent Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information