Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol Generic Name:
Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol (pra-MOX-een/KLOR-oh-ZYE-le-nol)Brand Name:
Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol is used for:
Treating certain external ear infections. It also decreases itching caused by the infection. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol is an antibacterial/anesthetic combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria and fungi. It also numbs the treated area.
Do NOT use Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol
- you have a perforated eardrum or the medicine can reach the middle ear
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol :
Some medical conditions may interact with Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol . However, no specific interactions with Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol :
Use Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the external ear area as directed by your doctor.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for at least 5 minutes so that the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- If your doctor instructed you to apply Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol using a wick or gauze earplug, follow the directions given to you by your doctor.
- To prevent germs from getting into your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol .
Important safety information:
- Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol is for use in the ear only. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose or for longer than 10 days without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol for other ear conditions in the future without checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol while you are pregnant. It is not known if Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/Resources/FindLocalPoisonCenters/tabid/130/Default.aspx), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol :
Store Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Pramoxine/Chloroxylenol . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.