Ak-Pentolate Generic Name: Cyclopentolate
Examples include Ak-Pentolate and Cyclogyl
Ak-Pentolate is used for:
Dilating the eye before an exam or surgery and preventing the eye from focusing.
Ak-Pentolate is an anticholinergic agent. It works by relaxing the muscle of the eye to cause the pupil to dilate or widen.
Do NOT use Ak-Pentolate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ak-Pentolate
- you have untreated narrow-angle glaucoma
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ak-Pentolate :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ak-Pentolate . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Down syndrome or a nervous system disorder
- if you have trouble urinating or a blockage of your bladder
- if you have open-angle glaucoma or are at risk for developing narrow-angle glaucoma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ak-Pentolate . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbachol, cholinesterase inhibitor (eg, echothiophate iodide) eye drops, or pilocarpine because effectiveness may be decreased by Ak-Pentolate
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ak-Pentolate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ak-Pentolate :
Use Ak-Pentolate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ak-Pentolate is for use in the eye only. Avoid contact with the mouth or other mucous membranes.
- To use Ak-Pentolate , first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you are using Ak-Pentolate in a child's eyes, do not get any medicine in the child's mouth. Wash the child's hands and your own after using to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- If you miss a dose of Ak-Pentolate , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ak-Pentolate .
Important safety information:
- Ak-Pentolate may cause blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Ak-Pentolate . Using Ak-Pentolate alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Ak-Pentolate may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken Ak-Pentolate by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Ak-Pentolate may cause your eyes to become very sensitive to sunlight or bright light. Wearing sunglasses may help.
- Use Ak-Pentolate with extreme caution in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially behavioral changes.
- INFANTS may experience feeding intolerance after use of Ak-Pentolate . Do not feed an infant until 4 hours after an infant's eye exam.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Ak-Pentolate , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ak-Pentolate during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ak-Pentolate is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ak-Pentolate , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ak-Pentolate :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; redness, burning sensation, or irritation to the eye; sensitivity to sunlight.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in behavior (especially in children), including clumsiness, confusion, difficulty walking, disorientation, hallucinations, hyperactivity, restlessness, seizures, or slurred speech.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include behavioral disturbances; decreased urinary or digestive activity; dry mouth, nose, or throat; fast heartbeat; fever; flushing or redness of the skin; high blood pressure; increased fluid pressure within the eye; lack of sweating.Proper storage of Ak-Pentolate :
Store Ak-Pentolate between 46 and 80 degrees F (8 and 27 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ak-Pentolate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ak-Pentolate , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ak-Pentolate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ak-Pentolate . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- AK-Pentolate Prescribing Information (FDA)
- AK-Pentolate Ophthalmic Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- AK-Pentolate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Cyclogyl Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cylate Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information