Diltiazem Immediate-Release TabletsGeneric Name:
Diltiazem (dil-TYE-a-zem)Brand Name:
Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets are used for:
Treating high blood pressure and chronic stable angina (chest pain). It may be used alone or with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets are a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing (dilating) blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, and decreasing the heart rate, which lowers the workload on the heart. It also dilates coronary arteries, increasing blood flow to the heart.
Do NOT use Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets
- you have sick sinus syndrome or have second- or third-degree heart block and do not have a pacemaker, or very low blood pressure
- you are taking erythromycin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure or have had a recent heart attack with lung congestion, heart block, low blood pressure, or a very slow heart rate
- if you have kidney or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine or protease inhibitors (eg, indinavir) because they may increase the actions and side effects of Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets
- Rifampin because it may decrease the effectiveness of Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets
- Amiodarone, cisapride, digoxin, erythromycin, protease inhibitors (eg, indinavir), quinidine, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, desipramine), theophylline, or general anesthetics because toxic effects on the heart may occur
- Benzodiazepines (eg, midazolam), beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), buspirone, carbamazepine, cilostazol, corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), cyclosporine, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, atorvastatin), macrolide immunomodulators (eg, tacrolimus) because the risk of their side effects, some potentially life-threatening, may be increased by Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets:
Use Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Taking Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including electrocardiogram (ECG), heart rate, and blood pressure monitoring, may be performed while you use Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets while you are pregnant. Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets.
Possible side effects of Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; facial flushing; headache; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); hallucinations; irregular heartbeat; swelling of the feet or hands; tender, bleeding, or swollen gums.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; difficulty breathing, especially when lying down; dizziness; drowsiness; fainting; lightheadedness, especially upon standing; nausea; slurred speech; very slow heart rate.Proper storage of Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets:
Store Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Diltiazem Immediate-Release Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Diltiazem Prescribing Information (FDA)
- diltiazem Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Cardizem Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cardizem Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Cardizem Consumer Overview
- Cardizem CD Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cardizem LA Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cartia XT Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Dilacor XR Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Diltia XT Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Taztia XT Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tiazac Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tiazac Consumer Overview