Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid Generic Name:
Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid (FER-uhs FYOO-mar-rate/FOE-lik AS-id)Brand Name:
Examples include Ferrocite F and Hemocyte-F
Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid is used for:
Treating anemia caused by low levels of iron or folate in the blood. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor, which may not be listed in the professional package insert.
Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid is an iron and folic acid combination. It works by replacing or adding iron and folic acid when the body does not produce enough of its own.
Do NOT use Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid
- you have pernicious anemia or you have high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcer, bowel irritation or inflammation, Crohn disease)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions, anemia, or a blood disorder (eg, thalassemia, porphyria)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate, risedronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, methyldopa, mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, tetracyclines, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
- Fluorouracil because side effects of Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid s may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid :
Use Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid is absorbed better on an empty stomach but may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid may reduce the effectiveness of certain other medicines when taken together. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you should separate Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid from any other medicines that you are taking.
- Do not take Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.
- Take Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid with a full glass (8 oz/240 mL) of water.
- Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid .
- If you miss a dose of Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid .
Important safety information:
- Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Keep Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid out of the reach of children.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Do not take Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
- While you are taking Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid , you may notice a darkening of stools. This is normal.
- Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid may cause false test results with kits used to check for blood in the stool or blood cholesterol. Check with your doctor if you are using either kind of test kit.
- LAB TESTS, including blood counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
Possible side effects of Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bitter taste; constipation; diarrhea; nausea; stomach discomfort; throat irritation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black or green bowel movements; vomiting with continuing stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include abdominal pain; coma; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; tiredness. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Keep Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid out of the reach of children.Proper storage of Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid :
Store Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ferrous Fumarate/Folic Acid . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.